Wednesday, April 11, 2012

In My Father’s House


Easter Wednesday, April 11 – Read John 14

In the last four days of Easter Week we will close our journey with Jesus by looking at four profound chapters in the Gospel of John. Chapters 14-16 form a long sermon given by Jesus to his disciples following the foot washing and last supper. Chapter 17 is his final prayer with them. Although Jesus has tried to warn his disciples that he will be put to death, he knows that they have not been able to understand or accept this fact. He knows that for them, his death will seem like a complete catastrophe – as if everything they have been trying to accomplish has been lost. So the first thing Jesus does is to offer words that will sustain them in this time of loss. Passages from John 14 are often quoted in funerals. “In my Father’s house are many mansions… I am going there to prepare a place for you and if I go, I will come again and take you to myself, so that where I am there you may be also. I will not leave you orphaned. I am coming to you… on that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you… Peace I leave with you. My peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Therefore let not your hearts be troubled and neither let them be afraid.”

Reflection Questions: Reflect on Jesus’ promise that “I am in the Father, and you in me, and I in you.” How do you experience that? How does it bring peace, not like anything the world can give?

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for these promises of Jesus. May I live secure in the peace that he gives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment