Saturday, April 7, 2012

Seven Last Words


Holy Saturday, April 7 -- Jesus on the Cross – Seven Last Words

For Holy Saturday, let us read and reflect on the Seven Last Words of Christ. According to Wikipedia, here is the traditional order of these words of Jesus, spoken from the cross:
  1. Father forgive them, for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).
  2. Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43).
  3. Woman, behold your son: behold your mother (John 19:26-27).
  4. My God, My God, why have you forsaken me (Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).
  5. I thirst (John 19:28).
  6. It is finished (John 19:30).
  7. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46).
According to the International Standard Bible, these seven sayings are traditionally called words of        1. Forgiveness, 2. Salvation, 3. Relationship, 4. Abandonment, 5. Distress, 6. Triumph and 
      7. Reunion.

Reflection Questions: As you read these words, which one of them speaks most to you today? Why?

Prayer: Dear God, may my thoughts be with Jesus this day. As he rests secure in your love, let me rest secure in his. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment